If you want to connect to a Wi-Fi network that uses password protection, users usually need to know the password that is installed on the Wi-Fi. With WPS, users no longer need to type in a password because users only need to scan the Wi-Fi on the smartphone device they are using. Just install WPS on a Wi-Fi router that already has the WPS feature. However, using WPS is not as easy as one might think. Even in multiple attempts, users may still fail to use this WPS feature.
What is WPS?
WPS is a wireless networking standard used to establish a connection between routers and devices used by users, making connections fast, easy, and secure. WPS stands for WiFi Protected Setup. WPS was introduced to all users in 2007 by the Wi-Fi Alliance. It aims to make it easier for users, especially home Wi-Fi users who can’t use wireless network passwords or don’t want to do complicated Wi-Fi security settings. Using WPS allows users to quickly connect to a Wi-Fi network.
The WPS security system only works on WPA Personal and WPA2 security. Although it does not support WEP. WPS is generally used on routers used at home or on routers in public facilities that provide free Wi-Fi. However, not all routers use WPS. When you want to connect to a protected or password-protected Wi-Fi network, the user must first enter the password. If using WPS, users only need to press the WPS button on the Wi-Fi router.
How WPS works
How does WPS work? WPS works in two ways. The first way is to use the push button or press the WPS configuration button. Before doing this method, users must first make sure that the device they are using is supported by the WPS feature. For example, users must activate the Wi-Fi feature on their smartphone first. Users can open the Wi-Fi settings menu and activate the WPS button. After that, the user can press the QSS button on the router or modem. The two devices are connected to each other.
The second way is to use a PIN or what is called a personal identification number. This PIN is used to verify the authenticity of the device or prevent unwanted device access. This PIN will encrypt the data and authenticate the device. Users can enter the Wi-Fi settings menu and activate their WPS PIN. After that, the user can change it by entering the PIN shown in the QSS menu on the router used. Every device detected in WPS mode sends a PIN request to join a Wi-Fi network.
WPS advantages and disadvantages
WPS also has advantages and disadvantages. The advantage of WPS is that WPS makes it easy for users to establish a Wi-Fi connection or connection between the router and the device it is using. Some routers support or support older operating systems such as Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows Vista to Windows XP. For Android devices, available from Android 4.0 Ice Cream to Android 7.0 Nougat. Version 6 to the latest version is available on Blackberry. The disadvantages of WPS are as follows:
- WiFi networks on routers that use the WPS feature usually have very poor security. By sharing an Internet connection over Wi-Fi using the WPS feature, hacking Wi-Fi passwords becomes very vulnerable.
- Requires additional WiFi password security settings to prevent cracking. In addition, many applications can enter this network.
WPS has a simple way of working with devices that support the WPS system as well as a configuration button. The WPS feature is used instead of a password or password for the security system. By default, the device cannot connect to a Wi-Fi network unless the user knows the network information such as network name, SSID, and password, or often WPA-PSK. When discovering a Wi-Fi network, the user must select and enter the set password to connect. This is where WPS works, the connection process is simple and easy.
WPS supported operating systems
It is undeniable that WPS is one of the most popular operations because it is found on frequently used devices. However, WPS cannot be used on some operating systems or operating systems. Operating systems that don’t support WPS are OS X, Windows Phone, Linux, and iOS from Apple. It is already supported by WPS for Windows and Android.
How to connect a Wi-Fi – Fi network connection with WPS
The methods described above sometimes face issues like Wi-Fi not connecting successfully to the device in use. We need a complete way to get the connection up and running smoothly. Here are the steps for a Wi-Fi internet connection using WPS.
- Turn on Wi-Fi on the device you are using, both your laptop and your smartphone. Then look at the “Options” menu. This option is available in the top right layer of the menu. After selecting the menu, several options will appear. Then select the “Advanced” option and usually this option is at the bottom of the menu instead of the other options.
- Then select the “WPS Push Button” menu at the bottom of the “Advanced” menu.
- After that, the device in use will scan for Wi-Fi networks in the area where it is located. When this process occurs, the user has to press the WPS button on the Wi-Fi router.
- After pressing the WPS button, a warning or notification will appear that a Wi-Fi network is connected between the device in use and the Wi-Fi router. Then click Finish or OK. The Wi-Fi network connection can now be used and enjoyed by the device.
Advantages of WPS on smartphones
There are several advantages of WPS in Wi-Fi communication. Apart from protecting the Wi-Fi password, WPS has several other benefits. The following are some of the WPS features that WPS users can enjoy.
- In the process of connecting Wi-Fi to a smartphone or other portable device, it becomes safe, simple and fast just by scanning the device and Wi-Fi.
- WPS is useful for securing Wi-Fi passwords and other users (users who do not use WPS).
- WPS supports all Android and iOS devices.
Method Using WPS connection to connect to Wi-Fi
To use WPS, instead of just scanning for Wi-Fi on your smartphone and selecting a specific Wi-Fi, press the WPS button on the router. There are steps to use WPS properly. Here are the steps to use it to connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- Turn on Wi-Fi on your smartphone or other device. Then look for the “More Options” menu, usually located at the top right of the screen. Then click the “Advanced” button.
- Then click the “WPS Push Button” menu at the bottom of the menu.
- After that, the device will scan for available Wi-Fi networks. During this process, the user must press the WPS button on the Wi-Fi router. As soon as the user plays the WPS button, the device used will be connected directly to the router in use. Then click OK or Done if the user has a Wi-Fi connection on the smartphone.
Also Read: How To Overcome Wifi ID Can’t Login
How to connect WPS connection in Windows 10
The first step is to open the list of Wi-Fi wireless networks on the laptop. To open a list of available wireless networks, click the wireless icon in the notification area of the desktop or in the lower-right corner of the screen. The screen will show all the Wi-Fi networks in the area. Click on the network you want to use by clicking on the network name. Click the link.
The next step is when the network asks to enter a password or password. Don’t enter password as we use WPS connection.
Then go to your Wi-Fi router or wireless access point. Press and hold the WPS button for a few seconds. This button can be found on the back of the router or on the other side. The WPS button may look like in the image below.
On some Wi-Fi routers, the WPS key does not use the WPS text label. If you don’t have WPS text, users can look for the button in the image below.
After a few seconds, the desktop will automatically see that Windows 10 received the settings from the Wi-Fi router you are using. The desktop will automatically connect to the router without having to enter the Wi-Fi password or Wi-Fi password.